Monday, January 2, 2012

So New Years has always been an important holiday to me.  I love all the festive little rituals--the champagne, the kisses, the countdown. "Auld Lang Syne" even makes me cry--yes, I'm that much of a sap about this special day.  But I often find myself let down this time each year, a little depressed even,  sometimes a lot.  Maybe it's the end of the Christmas hustle and bustle. Maybe it's the start of the work year--Spring semester comprises the bulk of my annual work load.  Maybe it's the weight of the resolutions.  Or maybe it's just a serotonin plunge after a month of holiday toddies. 


I find myself a little down this year because I'm holding onto some things. I'm a bit disillussioned right now, a little disheartened by some recent reminders that not everyone in the world thinks I'm as great as I do. :)  So I'm shaking off the blues with a little loving-kindess meditation from my mentor, Melanie McGhee:


Bring your attention to that part of you who loves you unconditionally, completely without judgement, without fail regardless of what successes or failures you have experienced. Rest assured it exists. . . Allow your attention now to come to rest upon yourself. . .  Allow these phrases to saturate your mind, body and spirit:


May I experience the wisdom of true happiness.


May my body maintain strength and well-being.


May I feel divine contentment.


May I be free from suffering.


May I experience the peace and joy of divine abundance.


May my life unfold with ease. 


May I live in peace.


Repeat now for a loved one (substituting he/she for I). Allow your heart to expand.
Repeat now for someone towards whom you feel neutral. Allow your heart to expand.
Repeat now for someone with whom you have difficulty. Allow your heart to expand.
Repeat for all beings. Allow your heart to expand.


I feel better already.  Happy New Year, my friends, frenemies, and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment